Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Choices

In April after our last IVF was negative, we had a follow-up meeting with our doctor. I was a bit of a blubbering mess not only from the plummeting hormones, but because of the fact that I never thought we'd have to do IVF in the first place, much less have 2 failed cycles. I was looking for some kind of reason from the doctor, but there was nothing he could say to make me feel better.

During our follow-up consultation, we discussed our options for this frozen embryo transfer (FET) cycle. At first, Dr. B suggested we just thaw out all ten of our 3 day embryos and pick the best. I think he saw our jaws dropped to the floor because he quickly suggested we do a "serial" thaw instead. In a serial thaw, the embryos are thawed one at a time until they have the number of viable embryos that you want to transfer. He also recommended that we transfer 5 embryos this time.

As our transfer date approaches, I'm starting to wonder if this is our best choice. It's not because of the number of embryos as you would think. We weren't successful with 4 last time, so I'm ok with 5. I do have the occassional glimpse in my mind of an ultrasound screen with 5 heartbeats...but that would be very, very unlikely.
My hesitation is about the fact that we have 2 frozen embryos that made it to blastocyst stage. The clinic does not freeze 4 celled embryos, so they let them continue to culture and see if they make it to blastocysts. On our first cycle, two of them actually made it. Blastocysts are 120 cells and are much more likely to implant.

So here's the thing, we only have 2 and only 70% of embryos survive the thaw process. So do we take that risk and use the 2 blasts? The whole round and months of shots could be for nothing if the blasts don't make it through the thaw. Do we wait until the next round and try it then? Is there a way to do a few at the 3 day transfer, then come back and do more at 5 days? These are the types of questions I roll over and over in my mind all day. How do we know what's the right thing? Do we just follow our doctor's recommendation blindly? Ugggh, it's so hard for someone like me that likes to have all the answers....but I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infertility Blog Directory