Friday, January 23, 2009

Egg Retrieval Day!

The egg retrieval procedure was at 8am. I went in a bit nervous and not knowing what to expect. I was worried about the IV too since in the past I've gotten very nauseous from them. The nurse, Paula, was truly amazing. She walked me through the whole process step by step. I put lidocaine cream on the potential IV spots 1 hour before arriving so I didn't feel a thing. There were lots of people in the room during the retrieval, but luckily I was put out pretty quickly so I didn't have time to be too embarrassed. I'm realizing I'll need to get over any shyness with this whole IVF process. There's poking a prodding and it's all out there ...and there's no way around it.

The good news is that they retrieved 18 eggs. Tomorrow they will call and let us know how many fertilized. 18 eggs makes it all worthwhile!

My friend posted this after I told her how many eggs were retrieved:

"In Hebrew, 18 symbolizes "life" (Hebrew word "chai"). Many
people give money in multiples of $18 as presents to someone celebrating a
birth, a wedding, etc. It's a very important symbolic #. I hope "18"
presents a new life for you!!!"

It's so sweet, I wanted to be sure I posted it here so I didn't forget it!

I'm a bit crampy now, but hubby is taking good care of me. He went to the store and bought me my favorite ice cream...Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Bun. yummmmm I have a heating pad on my stomach too. So far, I've just been taking Tylenol and feel pretty good. I'm on the couch and taking it easy, but not in extreme pain.

I'm off to veg some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infertility Blog Directory