Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Windfall!!!!

Money is one of those added stressors to an already stressful IVF process. At about $10,000 per IVF cycle, not including medications which can cost almost as much, it can cause a lot of worry. Many people take out home equity lines and spend everything they have for the hope of having a child.

Some insurance companies don't cover any infertility treatment at all....others cover up to 3 entire rounds of IVF. There are only a few states that mandate infertility coverage, PA is not one of them. My insurance is in the middle. I have a $10,000 lifetime limit on fertility treatments and my medications are covered pretty well. So, I've been keeping a close eye on how close I was to the limit. My calculation as of today was about $8200 and this did not include the egg retrieval, embryologist fees or egg transfer. I called my health ins. company and asked them what they've got on record so far. They said $3700. WHAT? The person on the phone told me on the sly that if the REs office didn't submit it as "fertility treatment" then it wasn't counted as that. So I guess all the labwork and bloodwork just seemed like regular labs to them. whooo hooo!!!!

Hopefully, this means that our 1st IVF will be almost 100% covered. And, if all goes well, we won't have to do more. I'd much rather put that money into a college fund, home renovations and $$$ to save for when I am out of work!!!!

It's a good day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infertility Blog Directory